Saturday, October 10, 2015

Swinging For the Fence

Boulder City, NV
Lake Mead













Joan and I arrived at Lake Mead Friday, a couple days ahead of schedule. September seemed to fly by so fast as we were wrapping up our summer job driving and inventorying BLM roads in Nephi, UT, about 50 miles south of where we started in Tooele, UT. Between April 13 when we started and October 9 when we returned to Lake Mead we drove almost 21,000 miles; worked in 4 states including Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana; and saw some spectacular scenery that 95% of the population has never seen.



This summer we were a little warmer than usual as we have been working summers at elevations between 5K'-8K'. This year we were working in the lower deserts. In Montana during August we had a couple of 100 degree days. And while we thoroughly enjoyed our summer job, there were days when we didn't see eye to eye on how to get it done. We got upset with one another as co-workers often do; but those disagreements and conflicts were soon forgotten as we enjoyed the scenery around us and the camaraderie of our other co-workers.











We had a final game night with our other teams before we left. L-R...Joan, Jessica, Daniel, Maxine, Dave, Chuck, Claudia and me!










We headed to Moab to meet up with Gay & Joe (Good Times Rollin') and do a little 4 wheeling.








Joe & Gay in Pearl showing us the way





We drove Onion Creek-Thompson Valley  our first day there.....












Driving down Dragon's Tail



and followed up a day later on Hell's Revenge.










The wheel wells look a little fuller with the 35" tires
After a few days in Moab we headed towards St George where I would be meeting my old Florida softball team to play in the Huntsman Games and where our jeep would be getting a little work done...if you know what I mean. Joan and I decided we would like a little more clearance for rocks and things while we're off-roading so we had a Tereflex 2.5" lift and BFG 35" KO2 tires installed. This netted us a total lift of 3.5" measured at the bottom of the drivers door (from 18" to 21.5" of clearance). We're also planning to add different bumpers and a winch while we're staying in Lake Mead this winter.

The Cardiac Kids - 2015 Mesquite
Last Saturday I met up with my old team, The Cardiac Kids just before the first game of a weekend warm up tournament in Mesquite. One of the first things my coach ask was when was the last time I'd played. My answer was "March". Yeppers, a 6 month layoff. I guess he and I were neither one sure what to expect once we were playing. But I think I impressed him during my first at bat when I hit a 3 run home run on my first swing. Yes, it was truly an ESPN moment. We played 7 games in 2 days and won the 2015 Mesquite Can-Am Tournament.

Some times we play...and some times we play!
L-R Gary, Buster, Gary, Frank, Kenny, Stan,
Tommy, me, Steve, Ray, Kooch, Dave & Bobby
On Monday were started the Huntsman seeding games. We went 3-0 in seeding, and were quickly 'bumped' from A to Top Seed in the AAA bracket. Wednesday we started bracket play and came out cold. We lost 2 games and that was the end of our Huntsman Games. All in all we played 12 games in 5 days. And my 6 month layoff is reminding me how out of shape I was every chance it gets. Everything hurts....even typing!





Well, that's about it for now. Stay Tuned. More to Come!




8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on winning the first tournament! The jeep adventures look fun, we will have to give a few more a try next time we are in the area. Hope to see you at Lake Mead in December....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the Jeep can really tackle those Moab trails now. But you can give many of those trails around Lake Mead a try:) Sounds like a great time with your softball team!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to see old friends. A couple of wives came this year so Joan and I both had a blast

      Delete
  3. The Jeep looks good on the 35's! Congrats on the tournament, that was a lot of games!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw your post, sorry about the bumper. I expect to have an extra one soon if you're interested

      Delete
  4. It was fun seeing you both and getting some wheelin' in. Your jeep looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're ready for the next time. 2.5" lift, 35" KO2s netted 3.5" total lift at the bottom of drivers door. I've already got the bumpers, winch is in transit, probably install all 3 next week. Relocated tag and 3rd brake light to spare and added cb. I'll post some pics when complete.

      Delete