Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What Goes Up....Must Be Checked!

I thought 'What goes up, must come down'. And now I'm being told that isn't so. What's that about?.

Doug, Steve, Dad, Mom, Chris
Joan and I are down to less than two weeks. A couple of days of work and one week of finalizing our goodbyes before we head out. One of the things that I will be giving up when we're on the road will be softball. I've played slow pitch softball since high school. Sometimes I played one night a week; other times I played as many as four; just depended on what was going on at the time. Over the last 40 years I doubt there has not been a 3-4 month stretch in which I did not play softball. For the last 10 years I've had the wonderful opportunity to play softball both with and against my sons in various leagues. Over the last 3 weeks I've played 15 games; 2 4-game tournaments and 7 regular league games.  It looks as though I'm down to my last 1 or 2 games next week. I'm sure going to miss it. I'm trying to contact someone near where we're staying in Oregon to see if there is any chance to get on a team for the summer.

I've got 2 golf outings planned and a 3rd in the works trying for a last chance to spend some time with my golfing buddies. Almost every night Joan and I are on the road to see the grandkids, friends or family. I'm replacing the standard headlight bulbs in the MH with upgraded bulbs to see if that will improve our ability to see when we have to drive after dark. Still have to get the car, motorcycles and motorcycle trailer serviced. We are also trying to get our health care coverage approved. It seems as though we have a little hiccup.....and that brings me back to.....

'What goes up, must come down'. It's been true every since I was little. One of the reasons I'm not a professional baseball player. No matter how hard and far I tried to hit the baseball, it always seemed to come down inside the park. On the grass rather than in the outfielders glove if I was lucky. I always wanted to fly. Tried jumping out of the tree, off the roof; even made sure to wear my cape and flap my arms. I always came down. Sometimes harder than others.  As I grew older and started my career I began to see the balance in my bank account go up. Then I bought a car; got married; bought a house; started a family. And just like they always said....down it came.

So what's happening now? My weight and cholesterol keeps trying to go up. And I fight it each step of the way. I actually managed to control my cholesterol and was able to discontinue that prescription. And according to my doctors scale I've lost another pound since December. No matter what I try it's still real hard to get them down again. I guess it was just a mater of time but now it's my blood pressure. It appears I may be a little
          
hypertensive. Yeppers. It's right there in the medical charts. And my preferred health insurance provider is a little concerned. Well, so am I. So much so that my doctor and I have consorted on a plan to get that where it needs to be. I hope the provider agrees.

And with a little luck, maybe my premiums will come down! Yeah, that's the ticket. I can see it now. More money than I will know what to do with. Daddy Warbucks. Big Spender. Starting the campfire with a greenback. More chrome for the bike. A new 48' tag axle. A personal trainer. Now that my hopes are up I hope I don't come down for a long time!

3 comments:

  1. Once you get on the road and "settle in" to the new lifestyle I bet your blood pressure will come back down some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the blood pressure is from watching me have a better batting average than you??? Just a thought, especially since it has come down a little since last week when you were able to get a couple more hits than I(About time, with all that extra experience)
    I still think you should stay an extra day to play our final regular season game...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting to hear more of your adventures. Have you left on your trip to Oregon? Any good wrapping up stories?

    ReplyDelete